The WEBTOON CANVAS Awards which celebrates the next wave of superstar webcomic creators has just concluded and the winners have been announced.
The CANVAS Awards offers the opportunity for fans to vote for their favorite series across 11 categories, with the top series in each category earning a prize of $5,000 USD and a merchandise deal. The 11th category, “Hidden Gems,” has three series winners.
CANVAS is WEBTOON’s open platform where creators can self-publish their comics and connect with millions of readers globally. CANVAS helps to provide its creators with valuable access and tools to help grow their audiences and be compensated for their work.
This year’s winners include:
- k a i r n n’s thriller LADY IN RED in the “Chilling” category
- Isabelle Melançon’s CROW TIME in the “Comedy” category
- moonbun00’s WINTER BEFORE SPRING in the “Drama” category
- Ro-taniah’s sci-fi epic STAR CHILDREN in the “Epic Adventures” category
- sonderfairy’s THE MOTH PRINCE in the “Fantasy” category
- Alice Oseman’s HEARTSTOPPER in the “Romance” category
- Azul Crescent’s I WANT TO BE A CUTE ANIME GIRL in the “Slice of Life” category
- HeyBuddyComic’s TORTOISE AND DINO in the “Living & Learning” category
- asimplebengo’s action/superhero series HYBRID in the “Power Within” category
- Fishtrout’s fantasy HOW TO BE A DRAGON was voted the “Star of 2022”
The 2022 “Hidden Gems” winners are:
David S. Lee, Vice President of Content, WEBTOON U.S. stated:
“For the third year in a row, the WEBTOON CANVAS Awards have helped showcase the incredible talent on the CANVAS platform. Since starting these awards, we’ve been incredibly impressed with every submission – WEBTOON creators continue to prove they are some of the most exciting and innovative voices in comics.”
The nominated series for CANVAS awards received over 112.5 million likes within the six-day voting period. This year, CANVAS Awards Romance Winner, HEARTSTOPPER was also nominated for the 2022 Harvey Award for Best Adaptation from a Comic Book/Graphic Novel.
The full list of 2022 WEBTOON CANVAS Awards winners is available here.